Here we’ll take a look at the benefits of diesel generators and the best portable diesel generator for sale at the mid and large sizes.
What about that diesel engines release 25% less carbon monoxide than comparable gas engines?
They’re pretty impressive.
Invented in 1892 by Rudolf Diesel to replace steam and other combustion engines, diesel engines quickly found work in the shipping industry.
Today they are used in a ton of applications – here’s just a few:
- Construction equipment
- Industrial equipment
So what’s all the fuss about diesel engines?
What Are The Advantages of Diesel Engines?
- Diesel fuel has 14% more energy per volume than gasoline.
- Diesel engines are about 45% efficient at turning the chemical energy of the fuel into mechanical energy. Gasoline engines are 30%.
- Diesel fuel is a better natural lubricator.
- Diesel engine’s performance peaks at lower RPMs lengthening the engine life and the time between maintenance.
- Diesel engines are designed stronger, thicker and more robust to withstand compression reaction within the combustion chamber (compared to gas engines which use spark ignition).
- Diesel fuel is the least flammable of all fuel types used in generators.
- Although not a guarantee diesel fuel is probably easier to obtain than gasoline since tanks and other more industrial and military vehicles need diesel during a natural disaster.
- Because diesel engines use a compression reaction they have no spark plugs to replace. That means they also have no wires or electric system in the engine area increasing reliability in damp environments.
- Louder than gas engine due to the more forceful explosion in the combustion chamber.
- Diesel fuel can’t be stored long. At least compared to natural gas.
- Repairs to the diesel engine may be more expensive since a Diesel Mechanic might charge more.
What’s The Deal With Diesel Generators? Are They Better Than Gas?
Diesel generators have a ton of pros over gas, propane and natural gas. One of those pros is not price. Diesel gensets are more expensive for the same size. You’re looking at nearly $3500 for a 5000 Watt diesel generator. You can get the same size gas generator for $700.
Diesel generators are most popular in permanent use situations. This is because they last longer and handle consistent load easier.
These days it’s hard to find a diesel generator. Why? Because the businesses that make and sell them realized people didn’t want to pay the extra money to get diesel. And the company’s couldn’t give them away so they just switched focus to what people want. Affordable generator. The only solution for the businesses to stay in business is gas generators.
Despite there being few portable personal-use diesel generators, there are a few. And this is the best:
Best Portable Diesel Generator
The best portable diesel generator for most people is this beast by Generac. Generac is the leading generator brand in the US and they flex their muscle with this diesel workhorse.
If you run a garage and want a generator to run the the electric power equipment and tools this is your generator. It even has a 120/240V selector switch if you have the need for 240 power.
With a huge 12 gallon fuel tank you can run this thing all week before refilling (~32 hours). Use it at around the home or if you own a small garage or workshop it is the perfect addition for you business. Yes, you’ll have to invest around $3600 but 10 years from now you won’t regret going diesel instead of gas.
- To learn more information about diesel and diesel engines check out the diesel engine Wikipedia page.
- Here’s a great write-up on the pros and cons of diesel and gas powered generators.